Tuesday 30 December 2014

Amazing Grace

I haven't written a blog since I went to Zambia, which was in February earlier this year... so when someone asked me the other day to write another one, I agreed it probably was about time!

The only thing I can think to write about is how recently I've just been amazed again at God's grace.

At church we sing a song, and the chorus goes like this :

Now my debt is paid, it is paid in full
by the precious blood that my Jesus spilled.
Now the curse of sin has no hold on me,
whom the son sets free, oh is free indeed!

Every time we sing it, I just think WOW God!

It came as a bit of a wake up call the last time we sang it (Sunday just gone), and I was reminded again that it isn't about what we can achieve, it isn't about striving to be good, it isn't about what we can do for God... I was reminded that we can't ever be good enough for God, but that really isn't the point.
God loves us and has set us free from the curse of sin, and the only way we can live in the completeness of this is to stop with the striving and trying in our own strength... and to simply call on God's amazing grace. So often we feel we need to be 'in the right place' and have everything sorted before we can approach the throne... we forget that our debt has been paid because of the huge sacrifice made for us on that cross, and although there is no way we can ever deserve God's love, He has already paid the price for us.
It is, after all, all about God... sometimes it's just too easy to forget that, and that's, I guess, when it becomes all about us and our efforts to please Him.

This bible verse says it much better than I ever could, in much fewer words :)

Ephesians 2:8-9

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast.

No comments: